1957: Helmut Jaeckel starts the collection in Uetersen near Hamburg.
1963: The "Kuratorium Luftwaffenmuseum e.V." (registered association of the Air Force Museum board of trustees) is founded.
1987: The collection is donated to the Bundeswehr.
1994: The Museum is relocated from Uetersen to Berlin-Gatow and the collection is enlarged by selected exhibits from the National People's Army.
2004: Institutional membership in the International Council of Museums (ICOM)
2009: The academic outline concept is confirmed by the Advisory Council of the Military History Research Institute.
2009: Institutional membership in the "Verband der Restauratoren Deutschlands" (German association of restorers)
2010: The Museum is turned into an autonomous branch of the Bundeswehr Museum of Military History in Dresden.
2011: The Air Force Museum of the Bundeswehr is renamed Bundeswehr Museum of Military History – Berlin-Gatow Airfield (Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr - Flugplatz Berlin-Gatow).